Thursday, April 3, 2014

Half-Fail Banana Protein Muffins

Lately, I’ve been on a roll with my stuffed sweet potatoes, paninis and baked chickpeas.  But I recently had a little bit of a cooking fail.  Well, half a failure.  I was really excited when I found this recipe for banana bread protein muffins on Dashing Dish.  The ingredient list (oats, Greek yogurt, banana, egg whites, protein powder, etc.) was right up my alley.  And the nutrition facts?

58
Calories per serving
9 g
Carbohydrates
7 g
Protein
2 g
Fiber
1 g
Sugar
1
WWP+*
*Weight Watchers Points per serving

Yahtzee!

At the time I tried to make them, however, I didn’t have one important tool- a blender or food processor.  So I gave this recipe a whirl by using a blender bottle instead.  Note to self:  shaking the ingredients by hand is not the same as blending them with an electrically-powered device.

The consistency was so weird and they were completely stuck to the sides of the cupcake liners.  OOPS! They most likely stuck because I didn’t heed the Dashing Dish’s warning about removing the paper liner and only using the foil part…and I pride myself on my reading comprehension skills…ashamed.

That being said- the taste was absolutely delicious.  Delicious enough that instead of being discouraged, these muffins may be the first thing I make with my new blender! I may even add some raisins, almonds or pecans!

If anyone else tries the recipe, let me know how it turns out! :)

Ingredients
3/4 cup
Ripe banana (about 1 large banana)
3/4 cup
Egg whites
1/2 cup
Plain low fat greek yogurt (I used plain Chobani yogurt)
3/4 cup
Oats (use gluten free if sensitive to gluten)
2 scoops
Vanilla protein powder (I used Designer Whey™, or you could use any flavor you would like!)
1/4 cup
Baking stevia OR 1/2 cup sweetener of choice that measures like sugar 1
1 tsp
Baking powder
1 tsp
Baking soda
1/2 tsp
Cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray, or line with silicone or foil liners, (spray liners if using).
2
Place all of the ingredients in a blender, (or food processor), and blend until mixture is smooth.
Divide mixture evenly between 12 muffin tins.
4
Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.

(Note: be sure to use either silicone or foil liners with the paper insert removed because they will stick, as does any muffin made with oats rather than flour!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Runspiration

Who of us hasn't considered how our peers will react to our performance in a given race, whether good or bad? And in those moments, whom are we ultimately running for? The sport is difficult enough as it is; doing it for anyone but ourselves makes it unsustainable.

Be My Friend!

Follow on Bloglovin